A unique and outstanding opportunity to work as a central figure at one of the most famous teams in world sport. As a key member of the British & Irish Lions Executive Team, the Director of Operations will work closely with the Managing Director and Head Coach, leading the Operations Team in providing a world-class support infrastructure to ensure the operational needs of the Lions Tour Party are met.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the key responsibilities of the Director of Operations will focus on the following areas:
Logistics & Planning:
- Develop positive working relationships with the South African Rugby Union (SARU) and relevant agencies/contractors and ensure Tour operations stay in line with Agreement entered into between SARU and the Lions. • •Undertake pre-Tour visits and recces to South Africa to ensure all relevant operational, logistical, security and appropriate planning is in place. • •Organise travel and transport for full Tour Party.
- Work with the SARU to ensure all on-Tour Squad requirements are met to the highest standards including training facilities, equipment, accommodation, nutritional and rehabilitation needs.
- Ensure all equipment to be taken on Tour is sourced within agreed budgets and freighted to the appropriate destination in a timely manner.
- Liaise with key leads from other departments including communications, community engagement and commercial to ensure squad/player/coaching team appearances are delivered in line with contractual and other obligations.
Tour Party Management
- Appoint and manage members of the Operations Team in line with agreed budgets. Manage the budgets for the Operations Team and ensure monthly accounts accurately reflect spend.
- Oversee the organisation of and communication with all squad members in relation to their daily programme of activity.
- Manage an up to date database detailing each squad member and their relevant information required across the organisation.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant health and safety regulations in South Africa and any other locations visited by the Tour Party.
- Appoint a security consultant to provide a detailed security and threat/risk assessment for the Tour Party in South Africa.. Ensure security briefings take place as necessary throughout the duration of the tour. Oversee and manage the security team engaged to ensure the Tour Party is kept safe at all times.
- Uphold and contribute to the development of a collaborative and focussed team culture.
- Prepare in depth debrief and knowledge transfer reports on completion of the Tour to ensure future Operations Teams can benefit from experience gained.
Please note this is a fixed term contract to Q4 2021 but which may lead to further opportunity.
Applications are invited from candidates who can display the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Extensive operational/tour management experience with a high profile sports team/organisation.
- Experience working in a senior management position within an elite sports environment with direct relationships to athletes and coaches.
- Passion for the Lions and a general understanding of the Lions objectives and values.
- Commercial and financial acumen managing large budgets and ability to work within an agreed commercial framework.
- Experience working with suppliers and an understanding of he specifications required of a high performance rugby team.
- Understanding and management of the security needs of a high profile sporting team in an overseas environment.
- Proven leadership and communications skills with the ability to enthuse and inspire.
- Committed, loyal and highly trustworthy. Someone that acts with integrity, good judgement and sensitivity in high pressure situations.
- Committed to building collaborative working relationships with colleagues and an understanding of the importance of continuous engagement with Unions and other key stakeholders.
- Strong team ethic: able to effectively communicate, motivate and engage with widely differing individuals.
- Experience within a Tier 1 Union and/or having previously toured with the Lions advantageous.