A unique and outstanding opportunity to work as a central figure at one of the most famous teams in world sport. As a key member of the British & Irish Lions Executive Team, the core focus of the Commercial Director role is to lead and manage a broad range of initiatives designed to enhance the long term value of the British and Irish Lions brand and to optimise commercial revenue and growth.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the key responsibilities of the Commercial Director will be the delivery of an overarching commercial strategy focusing on the following areas:
- Define and execute a long term commercial strategy for the Lions, to drive global brand positioning and sustainable revenue streams across all areas of the business.
- Increase brand exposure and build a permanent industry presence extending the organisation’s business cycle beyond the core Lions event period.
- Devise and implement innovative fan engagement strategies particularly to attract and retain supporters who do not go on tour.
- Ensure the Lions has access to relevant data and insight, using an evidence based approach to strategic development.
- Drive the development of a GDPR compliant database of significant size and depth.
- Optimise all revenue streams across current, new and non-traditional inventories with a particular focus on creating and developing new assets, partnerships and revenue streams.
- Oversee and manage agency responsible for partnership management and rights delivery on Tour. Be the primary point of contact within the Lions for all commercial partners.
- Oversee and manage the agency responsible for delivering the Lions Events Programme in the build up to and during the 2021 Tour.
- Oversee and manage the Lions relationship with Lions Rugby Travel (a Joint Venture between the Lions and Mike Burton Group), ensuring revenue streams are optimised.
- Build, lead and manage Commercial Team in line with agreed budgets.
- Manage the budgets for the Commercial Department and ensure monthly management accounts accurately reflect spend.
- Be an effective and active member of the Lions Executive Team, contributing positively to the development of a collaborative and focussed team culture.
- Examine and propose the most beneficial corporate structure for the 2025 Tour to Australia and 2029 Tour to New Zealand.
Applications are invited from candidates who can display the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Outstanding track record of achievement within a sporting environment in the management of overarching commercial strategies with a strong focus on enhanced brand positioning, revenue growth and evolving commercial development.
- Intellectually strong with high level of strategic acumen and business management skills.. An entrepreneurial and innovative thinker able to work beyond traditional boundaries.
- Design and implementation of commercially focused marketing strategies with an understanding of the importance of data to drive brand positioning, engagement and revenue growth.
- Passion for the Lions and a general understanding of the Lions objectives and values.
- Experience working across sponsorship, licensing, broadcast and other partnership channels.
- Experience managing relationships with agencies and driving revenue generation, partnership management and rights delivery through appointed agencies.
- Strong commercial and financial awareness – experience managing significant budgets and an understanding of the need to work within an agreed financial framework.
- Committed, loyal and highly trustworthy and someone who demonstrates the values of the Lions.
- Committed to building collaborative working relationships with colleagues and an understanding of the importance of continuous engagement with shareholder Unions and other key stakeholders.
- Energetic persuasive and engaging personality with inspirational leadership capabilities.
- Strong teamwork: able to effectively communicate, motivate and engage with widely differing individuals.
- Outstanding relationship management skills able to show skill and sensitivity in dealing with different sections of the whole game.
- Integrity, good judgment and independence of mind.